WELCOME!

Welcome to
The Essential Jesus
blog. I will be posting things of interest along the way as TOGETHER we journey through the life of Christ! All in hopes of sharpening our focus on Jesus so that we might run with endurance the race set before us (Hebrews 12:1-3)!

Friday, February 22, 2013

I Am the Resurrection and the Life!

Week 12, Day 5 Reading: John 11:1-45

John 11:25-26   
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?” 

I find these two verses to be among the most powerful in the entire gospel record. Jesus is speaking these words to Martha, whose brother Lazarus had just died. Martha rebuked Jesus for not coming sooner, as seen in her words, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died." Jesus went on to assure her that Lazarus would indeed rise again. And even though Martha thought he was referring to the final resurrection, Jesus went on to show he had something more in mind than that when he raised Lazarus from the dead!

Jesus' statement, "I am the resurrection and the life" is the fifth of seven "I am" statements made by Jesus. And in stating, "I am the resurrection and the life" he was indicating that there is NO resurrection and life outside of himself. It is only through HIM that we can ever hope to conquer death! The Apostle Paul understood this as writes the following as he closes out the great "Resurrection" chapter of the Bible: "The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ" (1 Corinthians 15:56-57). 

Yes. Let's join the Apostle Paul and spend some time THANKING our merciful God. For in Him and Him alone we grasp our hope of resurrection and eternal life !

Thanks for stopping by . . . 
pj

P.S. ------ "Do YOU believe this?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment